[mythtv-users] Migrating my mythtv setup to HD

Emery Guevremont emery.guevremont at gmail.com
Mon May 5 17:51:59 UTC 2008

Kevin Kuphal wrote:
> On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Emery Guevremont
> <emery.guevremont at gmail.com <mailto:emery.guevremont at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello everyone,
>
>     My problem:
>     I've read through a lot of the emails in this mailing list that
>     discusses HD and mythtv. But I'm still unsure how to migrate my
>     current
>     setup to be able to capture and display recording into HD.
>
>     My current setup:
>     I currently get my TV from OTA (analog and digital) and cable (analog
>     and clear QAM only). Right now I only have 2 PVR-150 cards on my
>     Myth BE
>     to capture the cable's and OTA analog channels. I also have an
>     HDTV now,
>     with dual co-ax inputs (one is used for cable and the other for
>     OTA). I
>     don't use a FE for watching my recordings. Instead I use a combination
>     of mythweb for programming and I have a job for transcoding to Xvid.
>     After I either burn to DVD and watch on a DVD player or I use my
>     Archos
>     605 to view my recording.
>
>     My (potentially) next purchase:
>     Now I've been thinking on getting an HDHomerun for capturing, but I
>     still need a way to view my HD recording on my TV.
>
>     My questions:
>     What would be the cheapest way on doing this?
>     Theoretically could the new HD-PVR be used to playback my
>     recordings or
>     does it just playback its own H.264 AVCHD video format?
>     Is there a someone that makes an appliance like the MediaMVP but
>     for HD?
>     How would I go about transcoding HD recordings so that a regular DVD
>     player or my Archos 605 be able to playback the recording? How
>     powerful
>     of a BE would I need to do something like that?
>     Would a WinTV HVR-1950 from hauppauge be better then HDHomerun?
>
>     Any other low cost suggestions are welcomed.
>

> What cost is low cost to you?
In terms of cost I'm willing to spend the $170 needed for the HDHomerun
and another $200 for a frontend solution. But I'd be ready to only buy
the HDHomerun, and temporarily transcode my recordings so a DivX DVD
player could play it. And in like 6 months buy whatever I needed for my FE.
> And what are the specs on your backend because with a decent enough
> processor for transcoding/commflagging HD, you could just as easily
> add in a relatively inexpensive video card that supports XvMC and do
> HD playback from your backend as well.
CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1700+
RAM: 768MB SDRAM
VIDEO CARD: Asus V7700 AGP (nVidia Corporation NV15 [GeForce2 GTS/Pro])
But I also have a more powerful ATI Radeon 9600 SE.
DISTRO: Gentoo
> The only issue then becomes the proximity of your backend to your TV.
The BE is about 15' for a cable run.