[mythtv-users] Migrating my mythtv setup to HD

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Mon May 5 17:31:53 UTC 2008

On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 12:28 PM, Emery Guevremont <
emery.guevremont at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> My problem:
> I've read through a lot of the emails in this mailing list that
> discusses HD and mythtv. But I'm still unsure how to migrate my current
> setup to be able to capture and display recording into HD.
>
> My current setup:
> I currently get my TV from OTA (analog and digital) and cable (analog
> and clear QAM only). Right now I only have 2 PVR-150 cards on my Myth BE
> to capture the cable's and OTA analog channels. I also have an HDTV now,
> with dual co-ax inputs (one is used for cable and the other for OTA). I
> don't use a FE for watching my recordings. Instead I use a combination
> of mythweb for programming and I have a job for transcoding to Xvid.
> After I either burn to DVD and watch on a DVD player or I use my Archos
> 605 to view my recording.
>
> My (potentially) next purchase:
> Now I've been thinking on getting an HDHomerun for capturing, but I
> still need a way to view my HD recording on my TV.
>
> My questions:
> What would be the cheapest way on doing this?
> Theoretically could the new HD-PVR be used to playback my recordings or
> does it just playback its own H.264 AVCHD video format?
> Is there a someone that makes an appliance like the MediaMVP but for HD?
> How would I go about transcoding HD recordings so that a regular DVD
> player or my Archos 605 be able to playback the recording? How powerful
> of a BE would I need to do something like that?
> Would a WinTV HVR-1950 from hauppauge be better then HDHomerun?
>
> Any other low cost suggestions are welcomed.

What cost is low cost to you?  And what are the specs on your backend
because with a decent enough processor for transcoding/commflagging HD, you
could just as easily add in a relatively inexpensive video card that
supports XvMC and do HD playback from your backend as well.  The only issue
then becomes the proximity of your backend to your TV.

Kevin