[mythtv-users] using mythnews to replace mythvideo

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Mon Mar 31 23:03:05 UTC 2008

>> I was thinking that because mythnews "runs" on rss feeds, we could
>> create an rss feed of all our Movies, and then go into
>mythnews to play
>> them. One major advantage of this is that in the rss feed, you could
>> create "feeds" (more or less categories) called Comedy,
>Drama, etc, so
>> that you can browse Movies very easily by genre. You then
>could create
>> categories based on a number of things, like rating (ie, 7.0
>to 7.9, 6.0
>> to 6.9, 5.0 to 5.9 and so on), and you could do it by year too.
>

>I'm not saying there can't be improvements to MythVideo. I'm
>saying that
>improving it is the right course of action - not abandoning something
>that's got a few years of dev behind it and does a quite bit more than
>you seem to be using it for.
>
>-Brad

I'm aware of some past posts where people were asking for some of these
features to be added to mythvideo, and I guess I should have titled my post
differently. I was figuring something like this could be a quick fix type of
patch that we could use in the meantime until some of those advancements are
made to mythvideo. I wouldn't want to abandon the plugin totally, because I
do like the features you mentioned very much, and I totally see their
usefullness, and I also see the tons of advantages of using mythvideo
instead of mythnews, but for this issue, I'm sure a quick script could be
written by a good coder that could add this functionality to mythnews for
the meantime.
-Steve