[mythtv-users] Permissions on Diskless FE

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Sat Mar 29 20:01:59 UTC 2008

Mitch Gore wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a PXE diskless install of fedora 8 working as a frontend. I just
> purchased a new HDTV (move from SD).  Now mythfrontend takes forever to
> load because it has to re-create the themecache.  Being the diskless
> system doesnt have access to read and write to the home dir.  it cant
> save the cache and it takes forever.
>
> To fix this i would theink the easiest way would be to change the
> permissions of the home dir.
>
> I tried doing a chroot /diskless/i386/F8/root/ (on the server) and doing
> a chmod -R /home/myth but that doesnt work.
>
> Logging in as root on the diskless system and changing perm. just gives
> me a read only error.
>
> hope this makes sense.  Is there a better way to do this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mitchell

First 'chmod -R /home/myth' is an incomplete command as it lacks to
mode. It would help to know the correct command.

Second, one the server who is the owner of /home/root, and who are you
when you are running the chmod command?

Third, what is the NFS configuration in /etc/exports?

Fourth, who is the user running the mythfrontend command on the diskless
frontend and does its uid match the uid of the owner of /home/root?