[mythtv-users] How hard is it to build an HD MythTV?

steve sfreilly at roadrunner.com
Fri Mar 28 17:19:26 UTC 2008

allene222 wrote:
| I am getting ready to buy a new computer to do this but have a question
| before I spend the big bucks.  How much difficulty am I going to have
| getting this thing running right?  I don't want to buy everything and
find I
| can't get it to work.
|
| I know, it depends.  Background: I have put together a web and email
server
| and have maintained it for maybe 10 years.  Problem is it is so stable
that
| I forget everything by the time it comes to change anything as I don't use
| Linux otherwise.  For example, changing to Fedora 5 from Red-Hat 7 was a
| huge pain.  I have done a fair amount of C programming, so that isn't an
| issue.  I have also programmed in php and have limited exposure to MySQL.
| (I coded www.paloaltophoto.com in a text editor for example).
|
| But I read the solutions posted in this forum and they go right over my
| head.  Oh, just put this patch in some conf file...  Then what, recompile
| the kernel (something I have never done) or just reboot?   Where in
the conf
| file???  I can't make heads or tails out of most of the patches I read
here.

| So, what is the scale of effort required for someone like me?  How hard is
| this thing going to be to maintain?  Is this easy or another hobby?
|
| btw, I am looking at a HDHR -> combined frontend/ backend on a new
croe2duo
| cpu -> nVidea6200 -> 720p projector and SPDIF audio / SD TV with analog
| audio
|
| Allen Edwards

ive found that standard tv is simple enough to get working reliably, and
requires minimal intervention.  some things are going to require a
little digging though, i would suggest using mythbuntu or other prebuilt
to start off on a box you have now before spending a ton of cash on a
new box.  i havent plunged into hd yet, I cant say I ever will, sounds
WAY too complicated, I just use myth to record a few shows once in a
while, i just switch inputs back and forth between my hd converter box
and computer depending on whether or not i want to watch a recording or not.

- --
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com