[mythtv-users] How hard is it to build an HD MythTV?

allene222 nabble at oldpaloalto.com
Fri Mar 28 17:07:40 UTC 2008

I am getting ready to buy a new computer to do this but have a question
before I spend the big bucks.  How much difficulty am I going to have
getting this thing running right?  I don't want to buy everything and find I
can't get it to work.

I know, it depends.  Background: I have put together a web and email server
and have maintained it for maybe 10 years.  Problem is it is so stable that
I forget everything by the time it comes to change anything as I don't use
Linux otherwise.  For example, changing to Fedora 5 from Red-Hat 7 was a
huge pain.  I have done a fair amount of C programming, so that isn't an
issue.  I have also programmed in php and have limited exposure to MySQL.
(I coded www.paloaltophoto.com in a text editor for example).

But I read the solutions posted in this forum and they go right over my
head.  Oh, just put this patch in some conf file...  Then what, recompile
the kernel (something I have never done) or just reboot?   Where in the conf
file???  I can't make heads or tails out of most of the patches I read here.

So, what is the scale of effort required for someone like me?  How hard is
this thing going to be to maintain?  Is this easy or another hobby?

btw, I am looking at a HDHR -> combined frontend/ backend on a new croe2duo
cpu -> nVidea6200 -> 720p projector and SPDIF audio / SD TV with analog
audio

Allen Edwards