[mythtv-users] Powered 5.1 speakers or A/V Receiver?

Fredrik Hallgarde mythtv at tedde.nu
Thu Mar 27 17:56:58 UTC 2008

Chris Weiland skrev:

> On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 12:56 PM, mlists <mlists at dressler.ca
> <mailto:mlists at dressler.ca>> wrote:
>
>     > >  There are lots of other benefits to having a receiver, like
>     being able
>     > >  to hook up other stuff to it like video games.  Also, I don't
>     know if
>     > >  it's a consideration but remember you'd get a radio too.
>     >
>     >
>     > The inside of a computer case is no place for an analog audio
>     signal.
>     > I noticed a huge improvement in sound quality when I switched to
>     SPDIF
>     > out to a receiver.
>     >
>     > Also, having a receiver gives you more flexibility.
>
>     Thanks for the input -- I will need to do some more research.
>
>     Norm

> I'd say that getting a receiver is by far the best way to go.  Not
> only do you get better amplification, but if you get the right
> receiver, it can handle all of your input switching (both audio and
> video).  If you have anything else to hook up (game consoles, cameras,
> etc), having a receiver is incredibly convenient.

Depending on budget and subjective requirements the logitech speakers
may be an appropriate option.
The Logitech Z-5500 has multiple inputs, including 2 (1 coax, 1 optical)
digital SPDIF and will decode 5.1 surround.
I am sure there are many speakers out there that beat the logitechs but
I have yet to find another option with comparable many inputs (I
currently use 4 out of the 5), good enough looking speakers and minimal
clutter (WAF is of utmost importance when picking speakers).

Radio was mentioned as a benefit of a receiver - Internet radio using
myth, fm-radio using myth ("hacks" exist) and fm-radio in a separate
mythcapable device such as the Nokia N800 are other ideas...

My 2c

Fredrik

ps. any suggestions on alternatives to the Z-5500 would be interesting