[mythtv-users] Powered 5.1 speakers or A/V Receiver?

Chris Weiland hobbiticus at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 17:20:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 12:56 PM, mlists <mlists at dressler.ca> wrote:

> > >  There are lots of other benefits to having a receiver, like being
> able
> > >  to hook up other stuff to it like video games.  Also, I don't know if
> > >  it's a consideration but remember you'd get a radio too.
> >

> > The inside of a computer case is no place for an analog audio signal.
> > I noticed a huge improvement in sound quality when I switched to SPDIF
> > out to a receiver.
> >
> > Also, having a receiver gives you more flexibility.
>
> Thanks for the input -- I will need to do some more research.
>
> Norm

I'd say that getting a receiver is by far the best way to go.  Not only do
you get better amplification, but if you get the right receiver, it can
handle all of your input switching (both audio and video).  If you have
anything else to hook up (game consoles, cameras, etc), having a receiver is
incredibly convenient.