[mythtv-users] Audio bitrate problems and zombie processes (0.21)

Sune Mølgaard sune at molgaard.org
Thu Mar 27 10:24:39 UTC 2008

Sune Mølgaard wrote:
[snip - see my previos post]

Hi again,

As a sort of disclaimer, I'd like to say from the start, that I don't
want to sound bitchy or anything. If noone has an answer, that fair and
understandable. However, if the lack of answers result from an obvious
fix somewhere, I just wanted to say that I must have missed it
completely, but that I did in fact look around for an answer before
posting. If there is a fix somewhere, I kindly ask for a link to it ;-)

But on to the problem at hand: AFAICT, /dev/dsp is an oss emulation
device from alsa, corresponding to my soundcard, into which I have
plugged the line-out from my bt878 card. I understand that this should
give the best results.

I would assume that this dsp device operates at 44100 or 48000Hz.
Elsewhere, and in the previously posted dmesg excerpt, the line-out from
the tv card, I get the impression that sound from the tv card is
transferred at 32000Hz. Some state that in mythtv-setup, I should set
the audio bit rate to 32000Hz, but I get the aforementioned "SampleRate:
Attempted to add a rate 32000 Hz, which is n
ot in the list of allowed rates." in mythbackend.log, no log about the
recording stopping again, small but growing recording file, and zombie
mythbackend upon attempted restart of the backend.

Please note that I get the "SampleRate...32000 Hz..." *regardless of the
bit rate I specify with mythtv-setup*.

I imagine the following to be a possibility: sound card receives 32000Hz
input from tv card, and upscales to 441000Hz or 48000Hz for output on
its own dsp device. Mythbackend detects bt878 card, and overrides bit
rate setting, attempting to force 32000Hz, but fails, as the sound
card's dsp device doesn't allow for reading at that rate. Something
fails miserably as a result, and when mythbackend is asked to shut down,
it thinks it has released the dsp device, fails to try again, and goes
zombie.

Does this sound plausible?

Also, where does the "list of allowed rates" reside, and how could I
read it myself, in order to see what I could possibly try to set it to?

Best regards, and thanks in advance,

Sune Mølgaard

--
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no
account be allowed to do the job.