[mythtv-users] General satisfaction

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 26 22:55:24 UTC 2008

On 03/26/2008 02:49 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> On Mar 26, 2008, at 12:36 PM, Ronald Frazier wrote:
>
>>> And here I watch all my TV at 1.35x (for favorites) or higher (up to
>>> 1.75x--increasing inversely proportional to my interest).
>>>
>> I think you missed your calling in life as an auctioneer.
> The auctioneer does the talking, not the listening.

Exactly.  Unfortunately (or fortunately?), my ears work much faster than
my mouth.

> I find I can watch a complete "30 minute" newscast (which is actually
> 22 minutes of programming) in 12 or 14 minutes without missing a thing.
>
> Of course with today's newscasts I could probably just skip the entire
> thing and not be missing much.

Yep.  That's what I do.  It allows me to get through my news in 0 minutes.

> Playback at 1.1 or 1.2 X and most people don't even notice.

I agree.  I think 1.25x on (broadcast) TV shows isn't really noticeable
to most people unless a) they play a song that the viewer knows, b) they
show a full-body shot of people walking (which happens /very/ seldom on
TV/movies, or c) there's a "physics-related" anomaly (i.e. they show the
side view of the path of a ball that was thrown in the air).  Part of
the reason it's not very noticeable is because it seems that TV actors
enunciate very well and speak slowly--perhaps because of the low-quality
speakers that have traditionally existed on the "common" analog TV set.

I find I can't watch movies at 1.75x, on the other hand.  Even 1.5x is
/very/ challenging for most movies.

Mike