[mythtv-users] MythTV 0.21 on Xebian installed (was Compiling MythTV on a computer instead of the Xbox)

kanetse@gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 19:31:11 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Ian Hodgson
<ian.hodgson.home at googlemail.com> wrote:

>      Sorry for what might be a stupid question, but is the upgrade of the
> Xbox to Etch a prerequisite for the installation of MythTV 0.21? (I have a
> softmodded Xbox that is running Xebian and MythTV 0.20).

The upgrade to etch is not a prerequisite for the installation of
MythTV-0.21.  However, a number of us have had a great deal of
difficulty compiling from source on sarge; due to various dependencies
which we have not been able to resolve.  Additionally, someone else
'out there' running Debian etch (probably not on an XBox) has provided
the pre-compiled packages that only work under etch.

> From the
> information on www.knizefamily.net, the update to Debian Etch is a fairly
> tortuous process and I don't want to make the change if it is not needed.

I am also not very familiar with the upgrade process to etch.  But if
you update your sources.list file  to point to etch, and do an apt-get
upgrade as per the website, it was quite easy and painfree.  The only
caveat to watch out for is that Xebian-1.1.4 uses XFree86, and Etch
uses Xorg, so youhave to reconfigure your X server settings; which,
for me as just cutting a few lines from XF86config to xorg.conf.

>      Also, you commented "minus the kernel upgrade cuz you cant do that on a
> E image"; I do not understand this as I thought the aim of the whole process
> was to update the kernel. Neither Knize, nor the others offering guides on
> Xebian upgrades
> (http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xebian-1.1.4-Kernel-2.6-Upgrade for example)
> make this point. Can you explain?

The Linux 2.6 kernel does not read FATX partitions; which is what the
Microsoft uses for the XBox's filesystem.  If you are running *only*
Linux/Xebian your XBox, then that is no problem.  However, if you want
to keep other XBox software (like a dashboard, or XBMC, or play
regular XBox games) on your XBox, then you need to preserve the FATX
filesystem... thus limiting you to the older 2.4 kernel.  That's the
main reason for sticking with the 2.4 kernel.