[mythtv-users] Mytv Unreliable

Jonny B jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 10:28:02 UTC 2008

> Interesting.
>
> The WAF won't accept me doing lots of messing/patching to get this to
> work.
> If I were to replace it in the interests of stability, what do you suggest
> replace it with?  (I would be interested in suggestions for both cheap and
> expensive cards.  Are there any uk digital terrestrial HD cards out there
> or
> does this not exist yet?)
>
> I was originally planning to use a mini-itx board so I used to be limited
> only one PCI slot.  Gave that up as a bad job when it wasn't powerful
> enough.
> With the Athlon X2 machine I'm using now, I have many slots available.
>  I'm
> in the UK using freeview.

HDHomerun gets a LOT of positive reviews. I personally use a pair of
Pinnacle HDTV PCI capture cards (both in the backend) and after compiling
kernel 2.6.24, it has worked flawlessly for me. Prior to the kernel upgrade,
I had scanning problems.

If the WAF isn't technicallly inclined, how would she know if you had
installed patches that made your system run stable? At my house, there's
usually a week or two of complete unreliability between updates, while I get
all the patches, drivers, and whatnot all worked out, and then the MythTV
boxes go on lockdown. No updates, no hardware changes, etc... and they run
rock solid. My couple of weeks is due to work restrictions (I work 12 hour
shifts half the week), so if you've got free evenings, then you could
probably handle it in a day or two.