[mythtv-users] Mytv Unreliable

Tim Sawyer mythtv at calidris.co.uk
Tue Mar 25 23:05:45 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 25 Mar 2008, Paul Raison wrote:
> This sounds like a signal problem to me. Have you enabled the on-board
> amplifier on the 500-T? You need to put the appropriate module parameter
> to enable it. Once you have checked that, do a channel scan. I had one
> channel the other day which failed to create the file as you described,
> and doing a channel scan cured the problem.

Yep, done since I originally installed mythbuntu

options dvb-usb-dib0700 force_lna_activation=1

I haven't done a channel scan for ages, yet this problem has been intermittent
for ages, seemingly on only one of the two tuners.

I too was thinking signal problem, and I bought an amplifier.  This makes
analogue TV really ghostly as if the signal is too strong, and I still had
similar problems with the intermittent recordings not working, so I have up
on that idea!

On Tuesday 25 Mar 2008, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> Next time it happens, try unloading and reloading the firmware and see
> if that helps. If so, at least you're closer to your solution.

How do I do that without rebooting?

On Tuesday 25 Mar 2008, Nick Morrott wrote:
> The Novat-T 500 card is still not stable. If you haven't already, I
> suggest you subscribe to the linux-dvb mailing list to keep up with
> progress reports of its stability and associated patches to help.

Interesting.

The WAF won't accept me doing lots of messing/patching to get this to work.
If I were to replace it in the interests of stability, what do you suggest I
replace it with?  (I would be interested in suggestions for both cheap and
expensive cards.  Are there any uk digital terrestrial HD cards out there or
does this not exist yet?)

I was originally planning to use a mini-itx board so I used to be limited to
only one PCI slot.  Gave that up as a bad job when it wasn't powerful enough.
With the Athlon X2 machine I'm using now, I have many slots available.  I'm
in the UK using freeview.

On Tuesday 25 Mar 2008, Frosty wrote:
> The Nova-T 500 has a known issue of losing 'lock' on one or both of the
> tuners. I have put an extensive amount of time into rying to debug the
> issue and have gotten nowhere. There are people out there with no issues
> at all, and there are others like me and you that have this annoying
> problem. I have been unable to determine the differences between mine
> and a working setup to find the cause.

I'm using mythbuntu with the latest backports version of mythtv. I can let you
know more details of my setup if you want.

Have you replaced with two of these?
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/27669

Thanks all,

Tim.