[mythtv-users] Myth doesn't work, was :DISH Tech...

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Mar 24 02:39:13 UTC 2008

(Hope I broke the threading here)

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 9:31 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

I made sure to emphasize to the DISH fellow that I am a paying
customer, and that Myth users are generally the sort of customer that
they want: They don't bother customer service needlessly and may even
subscribe to more services than the average user.

Never pass up an opportunity to help the Myth community be viewed as
the good guys.

beww

Glad it works for some people. Ever since I went HD about 8 months ago
it's been nothing but one miserable failure and disappointment after
another. Not to be the grumbly old man but Myth for me is essentially
a failure - Firewire has never worked correctly, my $140 HDHomerun
works fine in Windows but bombs in Myth, and I'm left with a pile of
computer equipment uglifying my entertainment center since it has
always been in some state of flux. If I can't get firewire working the
upcoming Hauppauge HD device will be the last chance before I give up
and look into some other solution.

First: HDHRs are down to $140? Great.

Next: You need to give more specific information about your problems.
MythTV works well for a LOT of people, so it's unlikely that your
problems insurmountable.

F/W problems can often be political with your cable company, not your
Myth setup.

We're all looking forward to the Hauppauge unit, it's the only
potential way to get satellite HD into anything except the proprietary
(well, the only legal and affordable way).

beww