[mythtv-users] Does anyone have a good HD solution?

Keith Lawson keith at nowhere.ca
Thu Mar 20 15:40:59 UTC 2008

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Jason wrote:

> Hi Keith,
>
> > I've been struggling with firewire and recording HD programs. It seems
> > like a lot of the HD channels are just blocked from being sent over
> > firewire.
> >
> > Does anyone have a good working solution for recording HD programs with
> > Myth? I've come across lots of postings to the list with problems similar
> > to mine but haven't seen anyone report a working solution yet.
>
> I have the same situation as the one you've described.  Because a lot of the
> HD programs have encryption set, I have an HDHomeRun on the network to give
> me capability to record HD programs from OTA broadcasters.  This gives me
> the ability to capture shows from the major broadcast networks in the area.
> In my setup, I've set the priority of the HDHR much higher than that of the
> firewire input to ensure that the HDHR gets selected first in scheduling.
>
> This isn't a perfect solution, as I can only get those channels that the
> cable company broadcasts using unencrypted QAM.  It hits most of what I
> want, though, so it's not too problematic.  What I'm missing is premium
> channels that I can view via the cable box, but are encrypted on the FW
> output.
>
> In the future, I plan on taking a good look at the upcoming Hauppauge
> component capture device that's been discussed on the list.  It looks like
> it will give us the ability to record anything that the cable box allows to
> be sent out the component video outputs on the box.

Sounds like I may actually have to watch my HD content live *gasp*!

Hopefully the hauppauge works okay. Right now I've got my HDMI output
connected directly to my TV and the Svideo output going to Myth so I can
record and watch the real HD feed at the same time BUT last night I got
this error (from the STB) while recording Survivor "Copyright: DVI/HDMI
blocked." or something along that lines.

Can you say frustrating? I'm paying for this content why the hell can't I
record it!!?!

Keith.