[mythtv-users] Playback Profiles? WTF?!

Jack Trout witmore1 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 07:34:57 UTC 2008

> > If you didn't change architecture (I.E. P4->P4 r C2D -> C2D) you
> > shouldn't need to recompile, but if you did (I'm not sure if the
> > chipsets support that?) then you will.
> >
> > As an aside, I just realized as I was reading this, that even the same
> > chip (P4 for example) has different architectures (I.E., wilamette v.
> > northwood), so it probably wouldn't hurt to go ahead and upgrade your
> > kernel. A complete reinstall, likely, isn't needed. Unfortunately, I
> > haven't quite delved into HD (well, I am working on getting a pair of
> > pinnacle cards running, then I'll have to hope my frontend (P4 2.8HT)
> > will handle it. If not, I may be looking for a new frontend soon. DARN!
>

> Two days ago I unplugged a hard drive from a linux box with a 5 year old
> motherboard, AthlonXP 1700+, and DDR333 RAM, and plugged it into my
> windows box which has a 2.6 GHz C2D, P35 chipset, and DDR2-800 RAM. The
> machine booted and loaded ubuntu just as it did on the other machine
> without even noticing the change. All I did was change to an smp kernel.
>
> So I would say, don't worry about going from 2.6 to 3GHz :)

I have done this a few times lately, with a fc4 drive from one of my old FEs
which was a 1ghz intel in a amd64-3200+ and a move from an xp2200+ on via
chipset board to amd64 on ati chipset board. worst complaints were vid card
kernel modules, but in the intel to amd, it worked fine as both were using
nvidia cards, but both booted and ran with minimal complaints, alot of the
more recent kernels auto load modules regardless of modules.conf