[mythtv-users] Please recommend a IR receiver that can wake from suspend-2-ram

Steve Smith st3v3.sm1th at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 09:58:55 UTC 2008

On 16/03/2008, Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
> For several years I had been using a IRA-3 infrared receiver and had
>  been quite happy with it. When I was building my new box a few months
>  back, I did a bunch of research into different IR receiver options.
>  One of the features that was important to me was the ability to wake
>  the machine from suspend to ram via the USB port. After looking
>  around, I had seen several people say they were happy with the
>  USB-UIRT, and the myth wiki mentioned that the device could wake the
>  machine from suspend.
>
>  However, after getting the USB-UIRT, I have been quite unhappy with
>  it, for a number of reasons
>
>  1) The wake from suspend feature doesn't appear to work under linux (I
>  had a thread about the issue about a month or so back).
>
>  2) The device seems to be much more finicky about the direction the
>  remote is pointed. With my IRA-3, I could point any of my remotes at
>  the opposite wall and the IRA-3 would still detect it fine. With the
>  USB-UIRT, some of my remotes still work fine like that, but others
>  need to be pointed directly at the receiver (I've replaced the
>  batteries and it's still a problem).
>
>  3) Configuring the USB-UIRT with irrecord is very problematic. I had
>  to repeat the process many times to get it to work. It kept telling me
>  there was a problem when I tried to record certain buttons. Other
>  buttons would occasionally give me that error and then work other
>  times. With the IRA-3, everything I tried had always worked on the
>  first attempt.
>
>  4) Most importantly...the USB-UIRT just died on me after only 2
>  months. The red light is stuck on, it won't receive any input, and
>  neither linux nor windows can detect the device.
>
>  Since my research failed me the first time, I thought I'd ask for
>  first hand experiences with other receivers. Waking from suspend via
>  the USB port is a must have feature for me (if it weren't, I'd still
>  be using my IRA-3), so please don't bother recommending anything that
>  doesn't support it.
>

>  --
>  Ron

Ron,

Not yet tried to use the USB-UIRT to wake up the box (though I may be
doing this soon!).
However, regarding your general  USB-UIRT experience I'd get in touch
with the support list for it.
The designer is a pretty helpful bloke, who takes support issues
pretty seriously in my experience. He doesn't support the linux side
himself, but is helpful to those who do.

Cheers

Steve