[mythtv-users] Firewire to SA6250HD Problems

Norm mlists at dressler.ca
Sun Mar 16 16:55:15 UTC 2008

Hi Everyone,

I'm running 16468 svn on Mythbuntu.  I've connected my firewire to an
SA6250HD.  Initially I could only change channels on the STB but I then
booted into Windows, installed all the drivers and VLC/hdVHS and both
worked.

After being in Windows, I can reboot into Linux and suddenly everything
is working.  firewire_tester shows consistent good tests, MythTV works
fine.  Everything works fine until I hit a channel I can't watch over
firewire - either I'm not subscribed to it, or it doesn't work over
firewire (perhaps a 5c issue, not sure).  The channels I can't view are
odd ones - like locals < 13 and even The Weather Network.  Then,
firewire stops working in Linux again until I go into windows, re-plug
the firewire and start up VLC.  Sometimes just starting up VLC works
too.

I've tried powering everything down, etc., but no luck.  It must be
doing something in Windows that I can't do in Linux in relation to
resetting the firewire.  I've tried the sa3250_primer script, etc., and
none of those seem to work for me.

Anyone have these types of problems before and is there a fix someplace?
I'm fairly new to firewire but not Linux and Mythtv.

When this solution works, it works great -- HD works amazing, channels
change quickly, etc.  I am using Rogers in Ottawa with an SA6250HD.

Thanks for any help.

Norm