[mythtv-users] using telnet to improve mythtv menus

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Sat Mar 15 03:54:41 UTC 2008

>> My issue is that it doesn't seem to work from the myth gui, but works
>> perfectly from the command line.
>
>To resolve it, you have to have the script run in the background, so
>that the menu processing completes before the script finishes running.
>
>Here is the script that I use to show the "Kids" recgroup:
>
>#!/bin/bash
>echo "jump playbackrecordings
>key down down enter
>quit" | nc localhost 6546 &
>
>The & at the end runs it in the background, so that the script exits
>before netcat does.
>
>Note that I have myth configured to show the recgroup selector
>always on
>entry to the playback recording screen, to avoid the delay required to
>bring up the popup menu.
>
>- Marc

Marc, thanks for the reply. Ok, I tried to do what you're doing, but it just
didn't work. So then I thought, what if my script just called another
script, so now I have archivedrecordings.sh and archivedrecordingsrun.sh

Now the script I made works, but 1 out of 5 times, myth takes longer to open
the recorded tv module (usually it takes about 4 seconds, but sometimes up
to 6-7 seconds on my fast core 2 duo). So on the time it takes 6-7 seconds,
my script ends up making a recording start playing. It seems as though since
myth is taking a long time, the "key n" command is ignored, and the "down
down enter" command is received. So it plays the third recording on the
list.

Any ideas on how to address this one? Really strange.

I really like the idea that I am able to do this type of customization, but
am somewhat surprised that nobody has written the actual setting for myth to
have options on when it opens the recordings other than the single default
you can set in the settings menu. Same goes for the videos. I'd really like
to get this one going.

-Thanks
-Steve