[mythtv-users] Firewire changes in 0.21 (trouble)

Justin Nolan hondacrxsi at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 23:08:47 UTC 2008

Mark Hutchinson wrote:
> What does running "plugreport" tell you?  Do you see a device
> attached?

Yes, plugreport sees the box at adaptor 0, node 0 and with the same
GUID that myth-setup is automatically detecting.

But thank you, since that led me down the right path. I finally got
the backend to recognize the box (outside of setup) by changing the
firewire ownership to mythtv. Beyond this, it appears that the
firewire priming script now included with mythtv is HARDCODED FOR NODE
1. In the mythbackend script, I also needed to remove the if statement
in the prime_firewire function to get the script to run at all (how/
where do you set enable firewire to true?).

I ended up getting it working using the old tried and true priming
script found here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV_Firewire).

There are definitely a lot of strides getting firewire working for
most out of the box in .21, but it's going to be very hit or miss. I
imagine it must be universal that /dev/raw1394 needs to be owned by
mythtv instead of root--or is that just a mythbuntu oddity?