[mythtv-users] OT: Documentation?!?! (was Re: MythFrontend 0.21: What is a watch list?)

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Mar 12 15:31:14 UTC 2008

On Mar 12, 2008, at 8:01 AM, Jon wrote:

>> The only place I've ever seen dedicated tech writers was a
>> non-profit. This was the sort of place where they would
>> squander "whatever was left over" at the end of the year.
>>
>> Didn't matter if it was a place with 50 people or 50,000 or
>> if it was a valley startup or a Global 200 company.
>
> Yea, tech writers cost money that could be put to use elsewhere. The
> board of directors wants as much profit as possible, and they feel
> that if you're paid to write code, then you should be able to
> document it too. And honestly, where I work, if it makes sense, we
> don't do it. I still haven't figured out how we're so successful...
> (if you live in the US, it's VERY likely that we print and mail your
> cell phone bill, your cable bill, and possibly your financial
> statements, we also have a center in the UK)

Maybe my experience is different because I do Quality Assurance and
I'm quite good at it. ;) Companies are willing to pay a premium for my
talents in that area so I normally get hired by companies that know
the value of a good end-user experience - including good QA and
Documentation. So to that I say maybe you're working at the wrong
places if they're not hiring tech writers.