[mythtv-users] Meta: PLEASE trim posts !

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 02:54:11 UTC 2008

Brian Wood wrote:
> On Mar 10, 2008, at 8:23 PM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>

> I suppose we could all just filter any post that contains 2 or more
> list sig blocks. Perhaps that could be done on the server side. If it
> isn't worth the few seconds it takes to edit out the sigs it probably
> isn't worth posting.
>
> We should probably all (especially me) be consistent with "OT" in the
> subject, to help folks who wish to filter OT posts.
>
> As for people sending html and the like, I think you have to make a
> distinction between those who simply do not know better, and those
> doing it knowingly, and point them to the appropriate places.
>
> I'd guess a lot of folks come here who are new to mailing lists, we
> want to create a a good first impression and show them the right way
> to do things, not chase them away.
>
> At least I think that's what we want.
>
> Didn't I once see software that would calculate your
> (original_material/citations) ratio? Whatever happened to that?
>
> beww

I've got a collection of extensions that  I used on thunderbird to help combat
this.  I don't even notice anymore when someone messes up because of them.

1) Nested Quote Remover: does the hard work for replies  You hit a big X on the
quotes button and they all go away.
2) Quote colors : Makes it easier to read history if there are nested quotes and
you don't know who wrote what
3) Quote Collapse: All quotes (including nested) can suddenly collapse and stop
wasting your message space.  They default collapsed, so you see the response
immediately.

<3> is my favorite by far.

--
Mario Limonciello