[mythtv-users] OT - Mac Advocacy, was; Which SVN?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Mar 10 20:19:54 UTC 2008

On Mar 10, 2008, at 12:26 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> So, you really feel it's worthwhile to pay for the /option/ of running
> MacOS even though you may choose to install GNU/Linux or Windows on
> that
> machine instead?

Depends on the application, really.

- For laptops it's hard to beat OS X.  Linux laptop support has always
been kind of iffy.  In ten years of using Linux on laptops I've never
gotten suspend/resume to work reliably, for example, and never gotten
hibernate to work at all.  Often you have to do hackish things with
NDISWrapper to get wireless to work.  In general it's just a bad
scene.  OS X on a MacBook just works because the machine and the OS
were designed for each other.

- For desktop machines, no, it doesn't make sense to me.

- For small form factor machines, it's hard to build a PC that's as
compact and quiet as a Mac Mini without spending more than a Mini costs.