[mythtv-users] Deaf Nova-T 500

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Sat Mar 8 12:29:52 UTC 2008

Paul wrote:
> Anyone have any idea how I can confirm the pre amp is working ? Reason I
> ask is that I two other DVB tuner based TV's with perfect pictures, and
> 100% digital signal. However according to Myth on the Front ends the
> strength never goes about about 37 % and I am getting a lot of digital
> drop out. Oh forgot to mention I have two Nova-T's in the Myth backend
> server. Did have a problem a while back when there was a Kernel update
> for Ubuntu Gutsy, and had real problems with the firmware name, it was
> supposed to have changed, however mine did not like the new filename,
> and I had to manually change the filename of the firmware back to the
> old name. Hope that makes sense ?

If your TVs are good, and your Myth setup is indifferent (or worse), then the
first thing you have to check is your aerial cabling. Good cable
joints/connectors? Good quality cable? Myth receiver a longer distance away from
the splitter than TVs? How many splitters between aerial and TVs? How many
(more) splitters between aerial and Myth tuners? How recent is the cable from
the aerial to the splitter? Possibility of water in the down cable?

TVs can often get a picture where a tuner card refuses to. You need a good
quality path all the way from bird perch to Myth box.

Been there, done that. <sigh> Had to renew the lot.

Mike Perkins