[mythtv-users] Things I've learned from mythtv-users

ccmail at bellsouth.net ccmail at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 3 18:09:50 UTC 2008

Steve Reilly wrote:

> lol, yeah i second that, insane overkill, you help launch the space
> shuttle through some kind of cluster or something with that?

That would be overkill for space shuttle launches too.  I just left the Kennedy Space Center after working there off and on for eight years.  They use a handful of 1970's-vintage MODCOMP mini-computers to launch the shuttle (they actually have the lights and switches on the front for manually accessing the address and data buses).  MODCOMP went out of business shortly after the first shuttle launch and for a while KSC was having to resort to finding spare parts on eBay.  In recent years they've replaced some of the MODCOMPs with single board computers which have the same architecture (and speed?) as the originals.

Chuck