[mythtv-users] New Frontend, Any gotchas with Compact Flash storage

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Mar 3 01:45:01 UTC 2008

Brian Wood wrote:
> My personal experience using flash devices (with an NSLU2) has shown
> that the "conventional wisdom" that it will fail after a short period
> of heavy writes is incorrect. I have been running a complete Debian
> system from a flash device for close to a year now. I guess the wear
> leveling is working.

That's my experience, too.  In a previous job we had industrial
touchscreen PCs that ran Windows 95 off of CompactFlash.  We had dozens
of these things in the field and disk failures were pretty rare, much
rarer than other hardware failures.  Anecdotes don't settle the matter,
of course, but if someone's considering this kind of setup I'd say go
for it.

We never experienced any card compatibility issues, either.  We were
mostly using SanDisk cards.