[mythtv-users] QAM Decrypt?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Mar 2 19:36:31 UTC 2008

On Sun, Mar 02, 2008 at 10:53:13AM -0700, Henry A Harper III wrote:
> > That's probably why most cablecard devices (like the Sony DHG-HDD500 I
> > sold after I built my myth system) don't allow you to access the files
> > in any way.
> >
> > Unless I'm missing something, this is one I've always put deep in the
> > "don't hold your breath" category.
>
> There is currently a Dell XPS model available with a totally-crippled-with
> DRM dual cablecard tuner, and apparently a Sony 17" laptop.
> http://gizmodo.com/tag/cablecard/
>
> You can't buy a Windows cablecard device (as in tuner card) separately
> because CableLabs (aka Hollywood) says so, and they have to certify each
> model (complete system) to be totally crippled with DRM before letting it be
> sold to the consumer.

And, as with so many other things, all it does is make a larger group
of otherwise law-abiding people spurn the law since suppliers will not
give them what they want, even if they're willing to pay for it.

In the long run, it subverts the Rule Of Law and will eventually lead
to the Second American Revolution.

Cheers,
-- jr 'flames off-list, please ;-)' a

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.