[mythtv-users] Please help! My mythbackend started to crash sporadically

Andrew Junev a-j at a-j.ru
Wed Jul 2 16:04:28 UTC 2008

> I would not say that you have a hardware problem. But you could check
> your HDD cable, because SATA cables sometimes have connection problems
> in the HDD and/or motherboard slots and that could maybe cause such
> problems.

I checked all the cables yesterday, including SATA.

> Did you have this problem with other kernel versions? You have a
> pretty new kernel and you could try it with another one, although I
> could see no reason why would kernel cause mythtv problems.

I currently use 2.6.25.6, the same problem happened on 2.6.25.5.
You may be right, as I'm not 100% sure when the problem first
appeared. I might be that it all started when I updated from 2.6.24 to
2.6.25...

Is anyone else running MythTV on kernel 2.6.25? Do you have any
stability problems?

> You could try to recompile and reinstall 0.21-fixes.

That's what my colleague was talking about today. I believe a simple
reinstallation via 'yum' won't work here and I will need to recompile
the MythTV myself, right?

> In the meantime you can use this to restart mythbackend automaticaly
> when it dies:

> #!/bin/sh
> while true; do
>     ps -C mythbackend 2>/dev/null || mythbackend >/tmp/mythbackend.log 2>&1
>     sleep 2
> done

Thanks a lot! :)

--