[mythtv-users] Please help! My mythbackend started to crash sporadically

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Wed Jul 2 09:17:47 UTC 2008

2008/7/2 Andrew Junev <a-j at a-j.ru>:
> Wednesday, July 2, 2008, 8:10:28 AM, you wrote:
>

>>> Is there some
>>> other way to make sure it's a hardware issue (if it is)?
>>>

>> Remove any unrequired hardware.  Drop all but one capture card, use
>> just one stick of RAM, replace with a spare PSU if you have one and
>> stuff like that.  Only do one change at once of course.
>
>> That is how I would go about it, but I am not an expert :)
>
> I would say this could be a way if there are no other options.
>
> But... Isn't there some more intelligent way of tracking a problem? :)
>

> P.S. And I'm still not sure it's a hardware issue.

I would not say that you have a hardware problem. But you could check
your HDD cable, because SATA cables sometimes have connection problems
in the HDD and/or motherboard slots and that could maybe cause such
problems.

Did you have this problem with other kernel versions? You have a
pretty new kernel and you could try it with another one, although I
could see no reason why would kernel cause mythtv problems.

You could try to recompile and reinstall 0.21-fixes.

In the meantime you can use this to restart mythbackend automaticaly
when it dies:

#!/bin/sh
while true; do
    ps -C mythbackend 2>/dev/null || mythbackend >/tmp/mythbackend.log 2>&1
    sleep 2
done