[mythtv-users] Myth can't passthrough digital audio, but xine and mplayer can

G Venkataraman gvenkat at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 18:46:16 UTC 2008

On Jan 18, 2008 6:28 PM, Ray Lischner <linux at tempest-sw.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 16 January 2008 12:25 am, Bill Williamson wrote:
>
> > What's set as your audio output?
>
> I've tried /dev/dsp and /dev/adsp as the audio device. I've tried
> Default and the other built-in choice for the pass-through device, as
> well as ALSA:hw=0,1 (because the digital device is 1 on card 0).
>
> The result is consistent. With pass through enabled, the receiver picks
> up the digital encoding, but no sound.
>
> With xine, I don't need to mess with anything. I just select Pass
> through for the audio, and it just works. So I'm still trying to figure
> out what's different.
>
> The "use video as timebase" option is unchecked.

I am using a single optical digital audio cable from the onboard digital
audio S/PDIF output to my receiver. Using a similar board (DG965WH), these
settings have worked for me:

Audio output device: ALSA:iec958
Passthrough output device: ALSA:iec958:{ AES0 0x02 }
Enable AC3 to SPDIF passthrough: Checked
Aggressive Sound card Buffering: Unchecked
Use internal volume controls: Checked
Mixer Device: default
Mixer Controls: PCM

I also have the following (single) line in the .asoundrc file in the mythtv
user's home directory:

pcm.!default spdif

This <http://mysettopbox.tv/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=91543> forum posting
talks a little about your particular motherboard and ALSA settings.
And this<http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Dolby_Digital_and_DTS>wiki page
has helped me in my setup.

Hope this helps.

-=Venkat=-