[mythtv-users] Hardware for Backend/Frontend Server

Jonathan Black jblack2 at smartertek.net
Fri Jan 18 21:43:13 UTC 2008

I've been looking at new hardware for my Backend server and have a
question about the video card and processor.

My specs:
Pentium Dual Core E2200 (2.2 GHZ)
Foxconn P9657AB-8EKRS2H (Intel P965 Express)
2 X 1GB DDR2 800 Corsair Memory
3 X 750 GB Western Digital Hard Disks (WD7500AAKS)
Hauppauge PVR500 (Already have)
Hauppauge PVR350 (Already have)
ATI HDTV Wonder (Already have)
Antec P180 (Already have)
Antec NeoHE 550W (Already have)

What is everyone's opinion of the E2200 Dual Core? Do you think it will
be enough for HDTV? --- I've been looking at benchmarks and the 1.8 GHZ
model it appears to be pretty close to a E6320.

Also I'm having trouble making up my mind between a 7300GT and an
8500GT. I've heard the 8xxx series doesn't have support for XV. Does
this mean that the 8500 wouldn't help the CPU with mpeg2 decoding? What
do you recommend?

Thanks.

Jonathan