[mythtv-users] How to ensure STB is powered ON? Re: SA3250HD is turning itself off?

Evuraan::ഏവൂരാന്‍ evuraan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 01:40:21 UTC 2008

Adam Hirsch wrote:
> The files will be slightly different, so diff won't help you... but I'll
> tell you what will: gzip.  10 seconds of all-black video will compress down
> to a very small file, while 10 seconds of actual running video with
> changing images and sound will not.  Someone smart on this list suggested
> this solution to me a year ago, and it's worked a treat for me since then.

(1) cat needs to be killed sometimes
(2) 10 seconds is too much time to wait.

check out the link
http://evuraan.blogspot.com/2008/01/how-to-ensure-set-top-box-stb-is.html,
it takes just 2 seconds to run.
Plus, it checks multiple frame to be very sure, before it sends a power
flick signal.

For optimal results, I made my channel change script call this, that way
read access to your video device is almost 100% guaranteed.

You can view the script here also:
http://malayalam.homelinux.net/evuraan/check_stb.txt