[mythtv-users] DVB-C resources?

Gísli Óttarsson gislio at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 13:02:10 UTC 2008

I have successfully set up MythTV on a Ubuntu 7.10 system but I am currently
limited to analog signal from my provider-supplied DVB-C cable box --- a
relatively sluggish, low video quality, single channel arrangement.   I am
lusting after something a lot better.

Could anyone point me to information about good DVB-C configurations for
MythTV?   I have seen DVB-C TV cards from Hauppauge, Technotrend and
Twinhan:

http://www.twinhan.com/product_cable_2033.asp
http://www.dvbshop.net/product_info.php/info/p17_Technotrend-Premium-C-2300-Hybrid--Windows-Linux-.html
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/tv-cards/hauppauge-wintv-dvb-c/

Are there documented success stories with these or other cards with MythTV?
With Ubuntu?

My cable provider uses a Conax CAM and does not pair the smart-card with the
cable box.  I have spoken with them and they look favorably on this exersise
but offer no assistance.

It is unclear that the some of the aforementioned cards can be used with a
separate CI and CAM.  For instance, this page

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/pages/products/data_ci.html

does not claim compatibility with the Hauppauge WinTV DVB-C card.

Thanks for any pointers

  Gisli