[mythtv-users] What's the point of MythTV HD?

jmk jmk at foofus.net
Thu Jan 3 23:29:17 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-03 at 08:07 -0600, George Mari wrote:
> Richard Woelk wrote:

<snip>
> >    I do this with my HD satellite receiver. Mythtv doesn't automatically
> > detect the 16:9 content, you have to set that up in your record profile.
> > I changed my "high quality" profile to be widescreen, which is
> > anamorphic widescreen,  while I left "default" as 4:3
> >
> > When I record from an HD channel, I use the high-quality profile, and
> > from SD, I use default.

George/Richard,

Thanks for the feedback!

While not ideal, I'll probably go this route to improve my picture
quality. Maybe someday DirecTV will add firewire to their STB... *sigh*

Probably lame question... why not set your default recording profile to
be widescreen? It looks like you can set your HD STB to send to a 16:9
TV and configure a default behavior for non-16:9 content (e.g. pillar).
Wouldn't this result in all content being sent from the STB to the PVR
card as 16:9 and do away with the need to flip between profiles?

Thanks,
Joe