[mythtv-users] What's the best HD frontend only hardware?

Richard Bronosky BrunosJunk at Bronosky.com
Fri Feb 29 00:33:32 UTC 2008

I'm looking to convert my FE+BE system to a BE only since it cannot
handle HD playback in a satisfactory manner.  In doing so I will be
building a dedicated FE from scratch.  If you had this opportunity
with today's hardware, what would you choose?

Here is how I'm leaning:
1. Must be able to handle (USA) OTA HD, aka: MPEG2 TS
2. Must have DVI or HDMI video output.  (optionally via a ADD2 card)
3. I would prefer it to be able to handle H.264 is in
http://images.apple.com/movies/us/hd_gallery/gl1800/1080p/bbc-blue_m1080p.mov
4. I would prefer onboard Intel video in gratitude for there
contributions to Xorg and OSS.
5. I would prefer a low power consumption system.
6. I would prefer a Micro-ITX or other SBC
7. I would prefer to use a CF instead of an HDD.

--
.!# RichardBronosky #!.