[mythtv-users] Why do they put VGA on Mother Boards anymore?

Deyan mythtv at bektchiev.net
Thu Feb 28 21:21:26 UTC 2008

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 7:58 AM, Richard Bronosky <BrunosJunk at bronosky.com>
wrote:

> Am I missing something here?  It seems to me that any mobo with "DVI"
> is actually DVI-I, meaning that it has both analog and digital.  This
> allows the use of a DVI->VGA cable.  So, I'm forced to wonder, why are
> hardware manufacturers in the year 2008 throwing away the digital
> signal and only providing access to the post D/A processed outcome?
> You can't [easily] buy a display that is analog only.  So, why is it
> so hard to by a mobo that is NOT analog only?
>
> I'm looking for an Intel G965 chipset mobo for a dedicated [digital
> A/V only] HD frontend system.  (based on
> http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/guide-200802-green.ars/2 from Ars
> Technica)  But I can't find anything that is not VGA only!

One thing to consider for Intel cards is the availability of ADD2 cards that
you can use to add additional outputs from the onboard graphics card
(including DVI).

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel915g/sb/CS-013296.htm

Looking at the page above the following chipsets are supported: G35, G33,
G31, G965, Q965, Q963, 946GZ, 915G or 945G .

Deyan