[mythtv-users] Why do they put VGA on Mother Boards anymore?

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Thu Feb 28 20:19:04 UTC 2008

>  > >  But the fact remains that putting a
>  >  >  VGA port on a mobo does not increase your market, it limits it.
>  >
>  >  Interesting that facts are no longer based on reality. :-)
>
>  Where is that statement coming from?
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvi
>  Facts & Realities:
>  1. The most common form of DVI is DVI-I
>  2. VGA can be extracted from DVI-I with an adapter, not converter needed
>  3. Consumers seeking digital video out cannot achieve it with VGA
>  4. Consumers seeking analog video out can achieve it with DVI-I

I wasn't referring to the technical facts. I was referring to the
statement that VGA would limit the market. In an ideal world where
everyone has perfect knowledge, that would be true. However, I contend
that most people don't realize that's the case. They go to order a
computer or motherboard, they see it doesn't have a vga output, they
immediately look for something else.

> No one is asking you to upgrade.  If you used a DVI to VGA adapter, it
> would look just as excellent.  The whole point is that if you, with a
> 10+ year old CRT, are shopping for a mobo, the DVI mobo is great for
> you.  It supports your current CRT and is future proof.  But, the VGA
> mobos are not good for people with modern displays and televisions.

Yeah, I don't think my point was very clear. I was just using myself
as an example that there are many people out there with analog
monitors because theres little incentive to upgrade. Myself, I've
actually got a motherboard with onboard VGA+DVI+HDMI, so I'm pretty
well set :-) Actually...I have multiple of them (using for both my
main computer and multiple myth frontends).

--
Ron