[mythtv-users] Why do they put VGA on Mother Boards anymore?

Gareth Glaccum gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com
Thu Feb 28 20:08:18 UTC 2008

It is a yes and a no answer to that I am afraid. Lots of people know of the
little adapters that allow you to plug a DVI shapped connector into a VGA
lead.
However the adapter itself is dumb. It does nothing special. I manages the
conversion because some of the standards for DVI cables specify that there
is an analog component.
Not all DVI cables/connectors have this component, and in fact are actually
shaped differently.
Have a scan of: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI, around half-way down it
has a diagram on the left which is useful. In the previous posts, it was
mentioned that a DVI-D tranceiver might me used, in this case, the DVI
connector could not be used to power a CRT monitor or any VGA only source,
as it is digital only and does not carry the analog components.

I am tech savvy, but there is a multitude of stuff on the peripheries of
what I know, that I would love to get into, but don't have the time.
Gareth