[mythtv-users] Solved: CC (and maybe Teletext) to DVD

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Mon Feb 25 19:22:29 UTC 2008

>> Anyway, I have come up with an alternative approach. I've tinkered with
>> mythburn.py (the 0.20.2 version). One of the things I've done is to
>> create chapter marks using the commercial marks mythcommflag stores in
>> the database. As a result, you can use your DVD remote's skip buttons to
>> bypass the commercials. I'm planning to include a patch for anyone who's
>> interested. I skimmed the latest code in trunk, and I think there's a
>> good chance my patch might apply cleanly to the latest mythburn.py

> Using this information, shouldn't it be possible to create the dvd in a
> way that the default movie would then automatically skip the commercials
> by arranging the chapter order?  You would still have the commercials on
> the dvd in unreferenced chapters, but you would still get captions and
> the movie would play straight through.

That's a thought, although I'm not sure it can be done with dvdauthor.
Maybe some other tool?

Another thought I had would be to cut commercials from the "final.mpg"
created after the CC based subtitle stream has been added. I don't know
if a mythtv utility can do this and preserve the subtitles, but perhaps
another tool, combined with a SQL query of the mythtv database to get
the commercial marks?

FWIW, the IVTV VBI data stream headers have their own time base, very
different from the time base of the video and audio streams. I suspect
the tools that demux and remux the video and audio streams aren't using
the time stamps in MPEG2 stream headers. At least, they don't look like
consistent sources of time stamps. I suspect the tools rely more on
frame counts and fps. That's one reason why I think doing commercial
cutting using the original recording would be tricky. So far, I've only
figured out how to decode the stream headers, not the stream data, so I
have no idea where frames begin and end.