[mythtv-users] Solved: CC (and maybe Teletext) to DVD

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Mon Feb 25 06:25:43 UTC 2008

> Would you be able to add the ability to edit out commercials or would
that
> be too difficult to implement?  I came up with a subtitling solution
as well
> but hit a wall with trying to cut out commercials because running
> mythtranscode strips out the vbi data.

I think it would be difficult to implement, although maybe not
impossible. But I also wonder how long a utility of mine will be of use.
All OTA broadcasts will be digital in less than a year, and the cable
providers may follow quickly. With digital TV, CC data should be
embedded in the MPEG transport stream, and should be preserved so long
as you don't do any lossy transcoding. IOW, it's my belief that doing
things like cutting commercials won't drop CCs.

Anyway, I have come up with an alternative approach. I've tinkered with
mythburn.py (the 0.20.2 version). One of the things I've done is to
create chapter marks using the commercial marks mythcommflag stores in
the database. As a result, you can use your DVD remote's skip buttons to
bypass the commercials. I'm planning to include a patch for anyone who's
interested. I skimmed the latest code in trunk, and I think there's a
good chance my patch might apply cleanly to the latest mythburn.py