[mythtv-users] RANT: MythTV has a *horrible* end user experience.

Dean Harding dean.harding at dload.com.au
Mon Feb 25 04:10:26 UTC 2008

Sarah Hayes wrote:
> I'd much rather the whole lot was deposited in a nice text file in /etc/
> personally.  Who needs a GUI on a server anyhow?

What if you have multiple backends? (even a non-combined FE/BE would
have problems synchronising configuration between the backend and
frontend). A database is the simplest way to ensure that everything is
"on the same page" in terms of configuration.

A different approach might be the way firefox does it with the
Tools->Options... dialog for simple configuration, and about:config for
"everything else". I leave it as an exercise for the reader to
implement, because to be honest, I kind of like the way it works now.

Dean.