[mythtv-users] multiple frontends on same machine

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 18:58:36 UTC 2008

On 2/21/08, Bert Van Kets <mythtv-users at vankets.com> wrote:

> However, sometimes I do want to perform two actions at the same time or
> pause one and temporarily run another.
> Some examples are:
> - index my 100GB music collection in background while watching a recording
> - pause a live view and switch to another program while the wife is out
> of the room
> - listen to music while watching pictures or cutting recordings.
> - listen to music while surfing the web or reading feeds.

Are you sure you need to have two frontends running (with the complications
of two programs trying to access the video and audio cards, etc.

For your examples:
- Reindexing my 90GB music collection only takes 2 minutes tops - so it's
not a big deal for me to wait for it (maybe the indexing is better in trunk
than 0.20?)

- Pause a live view and switch - have you tried using the PiP functionality?

- Listening to music which watching pictures, surfing web, reading feeds -
this functionality is already in trunk (miniplayer) and works great.  You
can't listen to music while cutting recordings though.

So - if you're still on 0.20 (MythDora) it might be worth upgrading to
0.21-fixes (now or when it released) and how many of your concerns are
already addressed.