[mythtv-users] multiple frontends on same machine

Bert Van Kets mythtv-users at vankets.com
Thu Feb 21 13:16:30 UTC 2008

Hi all,
I have a FE/BE machine running MythDora 4.0. This thing was a dream to
set up and runs like a charm. I'm very happy with it.

However, sometimes I do want to perform two actions at the same time or
pause one and temporarily run another.
Some examples are:
- index my 100GB music collection in background while watching a recording
- pause a live view and switch to another program while the wife is out
of the room
- listen to music while watching pictures or cutting recordings.
- listen to music while surfing the web or reading feeds.

This could be solved by running two frontends at the same time on the
same machine and having a "switch frontend" button on the remote. I
could start the music on one frontend, switch to the other and then run
the slideshow.
I am very much aware that the audio of both front ends will play at the
same time.

I assume this can be done through some higher level bash scripting, but
I am not up to it yet. Can anybody help me out to set this up?

Thanks a lot.

Bert