[mythtv-users] Recommendations for HD capture

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Feb 20 05:19:59 UTC 2008

On Feb 19, 2008, at 9:06 PM, Yeechang Lee wrote:

>> The sad thing is that the majority of the general public won't
>> notice the lack of HD.
>
> That's just a dumb thing to say. I've seen the same statistics you
> surely have in mind, the ones that say that __% of Americans don't
> realize they're watching standard-definition programs on their HD
> sets. Apples and oranges. Do you honestly think that someone who,
> today, watches a Blu-Ray movie at full quality on his high-definition
> big screen (I think it's safe to say that everyone who has a Blu-Ray
> or HD-DVD player, with the exception of some PS3 owners, has such a
> display) via component cable "won't notice" if, one day after a
> firmware upgrade, his player won't output those sharp pictures
> anymore? Imagine Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers on Weekend Update
> repeating "Really?!" to you (and to Sarah Hayes and David Brodbeck)
> many, many times.

I agree. I'm a visual kind of guy (scanning/color-correction/photo
retouching for a photo lab) so I can definitely tell the difference,
but my partner is an audio guy (musician/engineer/producer) and can't
even match his socks. He has walked in the room and said, "Oh, this is
in BluRay" as opposed to DVD. In fact, he was VERY disappointed in the
30 Rock DVD Season 1 set I bought him for Christmas because "It's only
DVD quality" and kept complaining because it looked so much better
when recorded over the air. "Is something wrong with the disc? The
lighting looks all dull."

The point is that I definitely agree. If someone "flips the switch"
and you're watching 1080i or 1080p one day and then 480p the next,
you're going to know something is wrong. Maybe someone should post a
side-by-side sample of each so we can see what's really happening
between the two. Oh, good. Someone already has:
http://www.cornbread.org/FOTRCompare/index.html