[mythtv-users] Recommendations for HD capture

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Wed Feb 20 05:06:47 UTC 2008

Cory Papenfuss <papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu> says:
>  	You say that now, but it will happen.  Maybe not with the cable
> boxes so quickly,

Heck, I'm not even sure all the DCT6200s out there and other cable
boxes even *have* support for Image Constraint Token. I know that
HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players do, but none has been implemented yet and,
because of all the players and displays already out there, the odds
against it ever being implemented are very high.

> but the BluRay will have that turned on in the not-too-distant
> future to plug the "analog hole."

I don't have a Blu-Ray player and, with many terabytes or more than
two months' worth of mostly as-yet-unwatched high-definition programs
available anytime via my MythTV box and hundreds of more programs
arriving each month over the air and via cable, have no plans to do so
in the foreseeable future unless I buy a PS3.

> The sad thing is that the majority of the general public won't
> notice the lack of HD.

That's just a dumb thing to say. I've seen the same statistics you
surely have in mind, the ones that say that __% of Americans don't
realize they're watching standard-definition programs on their HD
sets. Apples and oranges. Do you honestly think that someone who,
today, watches a Blu-Ray movie at full quality on his high-definition
big screen (I think it's safe to say that everyone who has a Blu-Ray
or HD-DVD player, with the exception of some PS3 owners, has such a
display) via component cable "won't notice" if, one day after a
firmware upgrade, his player won't output those sharp pictures
anymore? Imagine Amy Poehler and Seth Meyers on Weekend Update
repeating "Really?!" to you (and to Sarah Hayes and David Brodbeck)
many, many times.
--
Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> | San Francisco CA US