[mythtv-users] Which USB DVB-T Device should I choose, in a 266Mhz Linux Box

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Mon Feb 18 08:52:39 UTC 2008

Nicolas Will wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 16:17 +0800, Guan Xuefei wrote:
>> Hello folks, I am new to MythTV, I have a old linux box (266MHz CPU),
>> I would like to choose a USB DVB-T box, and It should have the
>> hardware encoder because the poor CPU,
>
> DVB-T is digital, the video arrives already in digital form, as MPEG-2
> streams. Your computer just has to save them to disk. No encoded is
> involved at any point.
>
> The CPU has to decode it when playing, though.
>

>>  I checked the mythtv website, and it takes me to here,
>> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_USB_Devices, a lot of
>> devices for me to choose, If anyone have ever use those devices,
>> please give me some advices. Thanks.
>
> Anything Hauppauge is well supported, in general.
>
> I have a Freecom stick that works very well too, but I have heard that
> new retail boxes use a new chip that is not supported, so beware.
>
> There are others, but I'm talking about what I know for sure.
>
> Nico

I have a Freecom stick, bought July 2006, that worked quite well on the
channels that it could receive, but since mid-2007 it could not tune the
BBC multiplex that includes BBC Four and the BBC radio channels.  I'm
pretty sure the failure was signal-structure related, not just a bad
aerial.  I haven't used it recently.  See above - and the wiki - for
later Freecom sticks.

You don't say where you are, which might be important!

John P