[mythtv-users] Which USB DVB-T Device should I choose, in a 266Mhz Linux Box

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Mon Feb 18 08:27:21 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-02-18 at 16:17 +0800, Guan Xuefei wrote:
> Hello folks, I am new to MythTV, I have a old linux box (266MHz CPU),
> I would like to choose a USB DVB-T box, and It should have the
> hardware encoder because the poor CPU,

DVB-T is digital, the video arrives already in digital form, as MPEG-2
streams. Your computer just has to save them to disk. No encoded is
involved at any point.

The CPU has to decode it when playing, though.

>  I checked the mythtv website, and it takes me to here,
> http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_USB_Devices, a lot of
> devices for me to choose, If anyone have ever use those devices,
> please give me some advices. Thanks.

Anything Hauppauge is well supported, in general.

I have a Freecom stick that works very well too, but I have heard that
new retail boxes use a new chip that is not supported, so beware.

There are others, but I'm talking about what I know for sure.

Nico