[mythtv-users] Fastest RAID for HD?

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Thu Feb 14 18:39:09 UTC 2008

On Thursday 14 February 2008, David Brodbeck wrote:
> I haven't used RAID 5 with MythTV.  It's likely more than good
> enough.  But for applications where performance is important the
> commercial world is mostly moving to RAID 0+1 or 1+0 (aka RAID 10),
> which has better write performance and more redundancy.  The downside,
> of course, is you need more drives, since you only get 50% of the
> total storage capacity.
Mhh, the real enterprise stuff is moving to raid 5.  If you have a hardware
raid storage with battery backupd write cache, raid 5 has the same speed as
raid 10.  The software algorithme in the hardware raid box is very smart.
Some time ago you got a a free performance boost of 50% just by updating the
firmware and thus the caching algorithme.
This is fiber attached storage stuff, I'm hoping to get a used 16x70GBx15krpm
fiber box with 16 GB cache, mhhh .......

Stef