[mythtv-users] AM2 Motherboard with PCI slots galore

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Feb 14 17:23:31 UTC 2008

Yan Seiner wrote:

> Basically LIRC uses the serial port as GPIO (general purpose IO) rather
> than a serial port, as it doesn't use the send/receive lines at all.
>
> Instead it draws power from one pin, and strobes another pin (I think this
> is the Carrier Detect pin, which is a part of the spec.)
>
> Since the CD is part of the spec, it works with most serial ports as most
> hardware ports implement CD.  Many software ports do not (yes there are
> ports that use software to emulate the hardware.)

Even the software ports that do implement all of the handshaking lines
they often have enough delay or lag that they cause things like LIRC to
not work, even though the port "works" for a more normal serial application.

That's why an LIRC blaster is a "hack", though its been a very
successful one.

beww