[mythtv-users] HDHomeRun, 2nd NIC and dhcpd bootup issue

Michael Rice mikerice1969 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 01:09:16 UTC 2008

On 11/5/07, Michael Rice <mikerice1969 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 11/5/07, Harley Peters <harley at thepetersclan.net> wrote:
> > Well i gave it a try but i have to set it to 200+ to get it to work.
> > So i just installed a second switch instead.
> > The real problem is when you reboot the backend the network interface on
> > the Hdhomerun goes down. And when it comes back up it tries to get an ip
> > address from the dhcp server right away and the server hasn't booted up
> > yet so the dhcp server isn't yet available.
>
> Makes sense and all but after installing the HDHR on the separate NIC
> I rebooted several times and haven't seen the problem.  Does this
> happen everytime or does it find the HDHR on some reboots?  I'd like
> to know if I am "safe" or if I will have this happen down the road.
> My backend is on FC6 now... what distro are you using?  I wonder if
> the timing issues are distro specific or something else.

I installed a different NIC in my backend and started getting the
"HDHR doesn't get an IP address fast enough" problem.  In case anyone
is still having a problem with this I solved it by adding a few lines
to my mythbackend startup scipt.  It just pings the HDHR's IP address
until successful before starting the backend.  I haven't used it a
long time yet but it seems better than editing the mythtv source:

  # Wait for HDHR to come up
  RESULT=1
  CNT=0
  while [ "$RESULT" != "0" ];